Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Let That Be Enough


This time I’m gunna do an oldie. Let That Be Enough is from their second album, New Way to Be Human, back when they were less rock-y and more inspirational. This song works through a thought that many people have probably had before. Feeling alone and defeated, unsure of the direction of your life. The soothing feel of the guitar combined with the last line of the first verse (“I’m a plane in the sunset, with nowhere to land”) provide the imagery that sticks with me throughout the song. It’s a sad, beautiful view of the plane in the sunset, unsure of what to do or where to go.
“And all I see, it could never make me happy, and all my sandcastles spend their time collapsing.” This pre-chorus sets up the perfect transition into the chorus. It poses the problem that a lot of people face. To quote C. S. Lewis, “If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.” Everything in this world is temporary. The best things we can ever make last for a super long time, but they still die/fade/rust/break. After all we as a race have been through, we still make things that slowly come to ruin, like entropy. Notice how life recycles.  Things die, but then get eaten by other things, or simply decompose. Plants and trees take in carbon dioxide and give off oxygen, while we do the opposite. Even poop makes fertilizer. The things we make, however, enjoy finding their way to a big pile with lots of other overused/unwanted things. Life doesn’t perfectly recycle, as entropy tells us, but I believe that’s our fault. Just as we struggle making things that last forever, we struggle finding true happiness in the things of this world. Where do we turn?
I think the answer to that question should be pretty clear, which is where the chorus takes us. Jon seems to be asking to feel the presence of God. More than that though, he says “let that be enough.” Many of us have wished God to speak to us at our command, which seems foolish when you step back and think about it. But God gives us what we need, “our God is a God who provides.” No matter how much God does for me, I often find myself wanting more. It manifests itself in a thought like, “it’s great that you did this for me, but how about that over there as well?” After all that’s been done for us, shouldn’t that be enough? Considering Jesus and all he did, shouldn’t it be more than enough?
The second verse drives home the loneliness theme that was sort of danced around in the first verse. The second pre-chorus is pretty sweet, “I feel stuck watching history repeating. Who am I? Just a kid who knows he’s needy.” Here’s a feeling of uselessness. This isn’t a wonderful thing, but for starters it’s relatable, and honest. Maybe this is the opposite extreme and not the right way of looking at it, but I feel this is a little more realistic than feeling like you can take on the world. Bear with me. Judging by the verse themes and contrasting with the longing for rightness with God in the chorus, I believe this second pre-chorus is pointing out that without God, what can we do? The occasional person can do huge things (Bill Gates), but if we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us… can you even imagine? Without God, we’re likely to sit back and watch this world all the worst of history.
This song may not have the edgy, rock feel of their newer songs, but it’s all still here. The passion, the feeling, the honesty, and everything else I love these guys for, all here. Even towards the beginning of their musical career, they could still deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment